Dienstag, 28. März 2017

Just Fly Away - Andrew McCarthy

Title: Just Fly Away
Author: Andrew McCarthy
Rating: 2/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Algonquin Young Readers for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
When fifteen-year-old Lucy Willows discovers that her father has a child from a brief affair, a eight-year-old boy named Thomas who lives in her own suburban New Jersey town, she begins to question everything she thinks she knows about her family and her life. Lucy can’t believe her father betrayed the whole family, or that her mother forgave him, or that her sister isn’t rocked by the news the way Lucy is. Worse, Lucy’s father’s secret is now her own, one that isolates her from her friends, family, and even her boyfriend, Simon, the one person she expected would truly understand. When Lucy escapes to Maine, the home of her mysteriously estranged grandfather, she finally begins to get to the bottom of her family’s secrets and lies.

Unfortunately, this book didn't do much for me. Considering it almost took me two months two read it, though it's a short book, is really all I need to say. It wasn't exactly bad, it was more about the story and the main character Lucy. I couldn't stand her in a lot of ways and sometimes, the writer jumped from one point to another, which confused the hell out of me.

However, it also had it sweet moments, such as when Lucy met Simon. I really wish the story between the two would have been more focused on. Instead, it was all about that brother she never knew of - the kid called Thomas. And then she did things I couldn't relate to, especially since she's described as a mature teen. Her actions didn't show that at all.

The story idea was great, I think. But that one point of the story was just too much. I felt like it was forced on the reader and then Lucy didn't think about Thomas for a few chapters and then she did again. She was this angry, spoiled teen that I wanted to smack or something. Also, the relationship with her sister wasn't something I found out about much. By the end of the book, they got closer, but that was it about it. All of a sudden, they got closer. Everyone got closer. Sure, that one certain thing that happens draws families closer, but I still didn't like it.

I liked the scenes between Lucy and her grandfather. Those were really sweet. I wish we had found out more about that Davis guy that lived with him, but I guess since this was Lucy's story, we couldn't jump to him.

I'm sorry if this review seems mean. That wasn't my intention at all. The book had its good parts or else I wouldn't have bothered finish reading it, but it's definitely none of my favourites. But the topic is a good one - as a side topic, preferably. Not a main topic.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen