Mittwoch, 1. März 2017

Waking In Time - Angie Stanton

Title: Waking In Time
Author: Angie Stanton
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to Capstone, Switch Press for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
Still mourning the loss of her beloved grandmother and shaken by her mysterious, dying request to “find the baby,” Abbi has just arrived at UW Madison for her freshman year. But on her second day, she wakes up to a different world: 1983. That is just the first stop on Abbi’s journey backward through time. Will is a charming college freshman from 1927 who travels forward through time. When Abbi and Will meet in the middle, love adds another complication to their lives. Communicating across time through a buried time capsule, they try to decode the mystery of their travel, find the lost baby, and plead with their champion, a kindly physics professor, to help them find each other again ... even though the professor gets younger each time Abbi meets him.

I'm not much of a sci-fi geek or reader that's into this whole time travelling thing. However, I decided to request Waking In Time simply because it was written by Angie Stanton and I enoyed a novel or two by her in the past. Also, yes, the cover is drop dead gorgeous and it was rated young and new adult - all things I am into. And I can safely report now that I haven't regretted me requesting this one tiny second. It was really, really good.

Maybe the beginning is a bit rushed, because Abbi hasn't fully arrived to college before she first started travelling. It wasn't her choice to do so, but some mystery thing that she's trying to find out about. Truth be told, the rushing didn't bother me as much as it did while reading the first few chapters, because her travel scenes were just too amazing. I always felt like I was with Abbi, back at that time she travelled to. Angie Stanton did a great job describing the eras, along with what Abbi's dorm room looked like. She also gave her roommates a lot of thought, some were super cute and some were super noisy. It was a mix.

Abbi meets this professor named Mr. Smith, who claims to know her from his past. At first, she's a bit sceptical, but as she realizes she only travels back in time, things start to make sense. Time travelling novels tend to confuse you, because this topic is just really complicated and complex, as well. Sometimes, it was hard for me to make sense of the things Abbi thought or what the professor said, how events can be changed, etc. Which is why I am glad there is no such thing as time travelling in real life or I'd be the last to understand it.

Her family story warmed my heart and by the end of the book, I was fascinated to find out that Waking In Time isn't as fictional as you might believe. Angie Stanton's mind is a brilliant one, coming up with a story like this based on a real life event that's set to inspire this book.

Also, I'm glad the author made it so that Abbi never travelled somewhere during war. I'm sure I wouldn't have liked that very much. There is some kind of lightness to the book that era would have ruined for good. It's a topic for itself that would have taken up too much space in Abbi's story.

Oh, and then I almost forgot to tell you about Will... He's such a sweetheart. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time until we find out about him, but that's perfectly fine, because of what you find out later in the book. His sudden appearance would have changed a lot of things, and seriously, I wouldn't change a single thing about Waking In Time. Anyway... Will is Abbi's partner in crime of the future. Well, his future anyway. That's the interesting part - while Abbi travels back in time, he travels forward. Thing is, he isn't from our century, which is probably also what makes their romance so swoon-worthy, haha. Their love was super sweet.

So, I declare Waking In Time my favorite time travelling book. I can't recommend this book enough for all the young adult readers, who want a bit of sci-fi and sweet, old-fashioned love.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen