Dienstag, 28. Juli 2015

Say Something (Speak #01) - T.A. Roth

Title: Say Something (Speak #01)
Author: T.A. Roth
Rating: 2/5

Thanks for NetGalley and The Hype PR for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
22 year old Ari Munoz is used to keeping men at arm's length. So when her best friend Vonne guilts her into going to a frat party, she couldn't think of a worse way to spend a Thursday night. That's until she sparks the interest of love’m and leave’m Ben Rodriguez. The electricity she feels when they lock eyes is something she's never felt before.

22 year old Ben Rodriguez has it all. He's a football star, president of his fraternity, and well known ladies’ man. His endless pick of beauties, makes him the envy of all of his fraternity brothers. So why are a pair of long legs and hazel eyes making him want to throw out all of his rules?

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this book very much. When I first read about it, it seemed interesting enough for me to actually request a digital copy on NetGalley. However, I was disappointed after the first few pages. It started off okay, but then it included all chlichés possible and I wasn't a fan of that.

Ari is taken to a college party by her best friend Vonne. At that party she sees the ultimate playboy - Ben. The story is told from Ari's and Ben's point of view, so we know that not just Ari is totally smitten with Ben, but he thinks she is hot, too. Vonne is like their matchmaker, getting them to know each other. When Ari and Ben meet again, it doesn't take a lot of time for them to be all over each other. Ari is always so insecure about their relationship, considering her boyfriend's past. And that's also because there is Maria - a girl that tries everything to get back with Ben, though she was just a way of spending his free time with, a casual hook up partner.

Saying the story is written from two points of view isn't right, exactly. Some parts are written from Maria's point of view, too and then at the end you get another point of view. I didn't like Maria as a character and I didn't like her voice in this book. The sentences she spoke and thought were short, nothing deep. Also, we only got to read about her mean ways. We didn't once get a glimpse of her senistive side.

Everything seemed kinda rushed in Say Something. I really missed the depth behind it. Ari's and Ben's relationship seems to be based on sex only. They talk about their problems, yes, but that happens after having tons of sex and it's not even relastic then, because Ari keeps on thinking she isn't that kind of girl and doesn't know whether to trust Ben or not. It's such a typical story, being written and filmed a thousand times already.

Also, it somehow annoyed me to read the same things over and over again. Ari would talk to Ben about something, he would give her a reaction and then Ari would call Vonne and repeat the whole conversation, using the same words of the talk and her thoughts.

I'm not trying to punish the author or only talk bad about the book. That's not my intention. So, to say something (haha, say something, get it?!) postive, I liked Ben's grandmother and if the story would have been more focused on Ari's past, I would have liked it more, I think. Because I really enjoyed the last chapter and also liked reading about the dreams she had. I wish I could have felt her struggle more. And I won't forget about the cover either. It's beautiful.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen