Freitag, 24. Juli 2015

Point of No Return - Olivia Luck

Title: Point of No Return
Author: Olivia Luck
Rating: 3/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Book Enthusiast Promotions for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.


I had it all: an adoring husband, supportive friends, thriving career, a homey condo in the city.
Amend that.

I had it all except for love from my family. But life was good because I had him. Max was everything I dreamed a husband could be and somehow he loved me just as wildly as I loved him.

Until one cruel night he was stolen from me.

Then I had nothing but a vicious battle ahead of me. It’s a struggle so treacherous, I’m not sure if I’ll make it out with my heart in tact. But on the other side of that brutal war waits the most wondrous prize.

Will I allow myself to move forward?

I read the first book in this series, New Point, and I'm sorry to say that I liked that one much better than Point of No Return. I'll admit that after finishing the first book (you can also find my review to that on my blog) I wasn't sure whether I'd continue the series or not. I decided against it, because I wasn't interested in reading about Zoe's brother. So I skipped that book. Then I saw Point of No Return up on NetGalley. At first I thought it was the mentioned book about Zoe's brother, but after reading the summary, I knew it wasn't and so I started to be curious and requested a digital copy.

As always, I'm not saying it's a bad book. It is not. It just wasn't what I expected, basically because the first book was really new adult-ish and this one isn't, that's why I wonder why it was put into that section.

Anyway... What I love about Olivia Luck's writing style is that she captures emotions perfectly. So despite the fact that this wasn't my type of genre, really, I still enjoyed the two different point of views. Olivia Luck is talented at giving the characters their own voices. You will never once mistake a point of view, because you get to know the characters so well. And also, the relationships are always the one you ship. There aren't any other potential partners that you want the persons to end up with. Some may say it's boring - where is the challenge in that?! There isn't, simple as that. But there is a journey of the main characters and you will want to find out all about their development during the story.

You feel Violet's pain, because what she had to go through is something you want no one to ever experience. I think this story is focused on her change and her life more than it is about Cameron. Or maybe I just skipped these part unknowingly and swooned over him too much. He is such a sweet guy and you can't help but feel sorry for him, for being so patient and a total lovesick puppy. Can he get an aww? Aww!

There is, again, one thing that I didn't like that much. I wasn't such a big fan of the parts about Violet's job. I mean, of course her job is important for her future story and so on, but I grew tired of reading about meetings and her co-workers so fast. I don't know what's wrong with me, I'm sorry.

Naturally, I'd recommend this book to all fans of Olivia Luck (and I call myself a fan of her writing, definitely!), but also to those who want a break from reading new adult books and want to find out what happens to people after these new adult phases. If you're interested in that, I'm sure you'll just love Point of No Return. Side note: Isn't the cover just one of the prettiest you have ever seen?! I love it!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen