Montag, 6. Juli 2015

Chasing Each Other - J.D. Rivera

Title: Chasing Each Other
Author: J.D. Rivera
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Red Coat PR for letting me receive a digital copy before the official release.
Miranda… I was always the life of the party, the happy one. Until Preston killed my soul. When he came into my life, he destroyed me. I was a shell of my former self, pretending to be fine while wishing I wouldn't wake up the next day. I never dreamed my best friend would come back into my life...and bring Brad Nicholson with her. I never dreamed the homicide detective with the cocky attitude could show me my worth again. He could show me that my life could be amazing every day. Until the day he found out about my past with Preston. Then, I was sure he'd see the real Miranda and ditch me for good.

Brad… From a young age, I made a decision. I knew what I wanted to do with my life and from that point on, my work molded me. Everything became routine. Casual. Until Mackenzie walked into my life, bringing her best friend, Miranda, with her. From the first moment I saw Miranda, I knew she could be someone special. I didn’t have time for relationships, but she was different. She was a piece of the puzzle that could be missing. But she was broken, I could see that. And all I wanted to do was turn her into the girl I knew she really was beneath her perfectly placed mask.

Miranda is a character that didn't need a hundred of pages until I liked her. That's what I liked about her - it only took a couple of pages until I dived into the story and really felt her pain and horror. I had some trouble liking the prologue though, but maybe that's because it was rushed. You don't find out a lot about the person, but then again that makes sense since it is a prologue. Oh my, do I even make sense now?! haha.

And now Brad... Gah, I need more cops in books. I'm a huge fan of authors who deal with age gapes, and whew, a sexy cop just made it to my favourite list. I need more cops in new adult books (remember that all you aspiring authors, please) Funny thing, I never understood why he thought of himself as a bad person. I would have assumed he did something terrible or something like that.

I'm out of words already. You know, I thought this read would be much more... Thrilling, as in a horror kind of way. I am glad it wasn't like that. Miranda has to deal with her past, but I'm so glad isn't wasn't something predictable. When I started reading Chasing Each Other I was like: "Alright, I know where this is heading." I was pleasently surprised, though.

What I didn't like, and yes, there is something I didn't like, were Mackenzie and Hayes. I mean, they were awesome friends and they both make you want them in your life. So maybe I liked them, yeah, I'm confusing as well, I know. What I really mean is that I am not as interested in their story as I was/am in Brad's and Miranda's, which is why I'll probably only read Chasing The Stars because I liked the author's style. I often wondered whether the author was from America or not. Not because of her English, because her English is great, but because the used words were extra ordinary and thought-through. I wish I could write like that.

So, I really, really missed reading new adult books lately and I am glad I requested this one on NetGalley. It was such a good choice to get back in the game! Thank you J.D. Rivera for creating these characters and this story. I absolutely enjoyed every second of reading it, which I can even prove. I had to read it on the Kindle app via my cell phone. Normally, I dislike reading things on my cell phone, but I couldn't even put it down this time. It was that good!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen