Dienstag, 29. April 2014

Blue Notes - Carrie Lofty

Title: Blue Notes
Author: Carrie Lofty
Rating: 3.5 - 4 / 5
Thanks to NetGallery and Gallery Books for giving me a chance to read this before the official release.
After being bounced from foster family to foster family, Keeley, a talented pianist, is ready to start over as a junior at Tulane. But when she plays a small concert that attracts the attention of Jude, a brooding playboy and heir to an enormous fortune in the wake of his parents’ tragic death, suddenly Keeley’s life is thrown off balance once again.

Jude is the first person to confront her about the pain behind her music, and she struggles with whether or not to let him into her life, or to keep protecting herself from the hurt that relationships have caused her in the past. But Keeley’s about to learn that the melancholy young billionaire who appears to have everything he wants can open her eyes to exactly what she needs…
I'm so sorry for sticking with the original sypnosis again. I can't seem to find the right words in order to write one myself.

There are books you request on NetGallery and never imagine to actually get. Thank you to whoever pressed the 'accept' button. I'm really thankful for that.

It's easy to compare this book to Fifty Shades of Gray or is it Grey? I have no idea, I never read those books. From what I've heard, this one here is pretty similar though. Difference is, this is for new adults. I'm not sure if Shades of Gray is adult material or starts off with new adult too, but well... It doesn't really matter. It's about seducing and someone who's older and sexyness (is that a word?) and dares and fears.

So please don't make the mistake and think of this book as a sweet story. I know the cover is making you think up stories about unicorns and cotton candy in your head. You couldn't be more wrong. I thought this would be a light read too, a bit poetic maybe. Truth is, it's raw and powerful and ruins the skin on your cheeks because you'll eventually find yourself crying. Or near to tears. No denying that.

The sad thing is, however, this book loses its voice through the story. In the beginning I thought this would be another poetic read, as I said, and then I fell in love with the story so much, I was disappointed as I turned the pages. I can't exactly describe why and I hate for being disappointed in the end as much as I am. I think Keeley hasn't exactly figured out who she is. Her past still lingers somewhere between the pages and my eyes and I want her to overcome her fears completely. To be honest, she hasn't become a different person. She might have fallen in love with an asshole (a very handsome one, I assume) but her character lost its appeal. Gosh, I'm being too harsh, aren't I? Let's just say that I started to dislike her character after the middle of the book.

Also, I liked Jude in the beginning so much more. I was surprised to find sympathy for Adelaide. I wish there was a book about her, and Janissa too. Those two really grew on me. I usually can't stand the main character's best friends, but I really liked Janissa and Adelaide.

I should probably quit writing reviews, considering I'm not really good at it. I liked the story itself and I enjoyed it most of the time. Just because I didn't like the last forty pages or so doesn't mean I'm going to give Blue Notes a bad rating. I just hoped to find out more about Keeley's past and I also couldn't relate to Jude's problems. It seemed like once he said it all out loud, the magic was gone.

I repeat - I liked this book. This isn't a mean review, no. I'd recommend it. Strongly. It's not a bad book. I will just stop and let you read it yourself.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen