Sonntag, 13. Januar 2013

Over You - Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

Title: Over You
Author: Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus
Rating: 2.5/5

Max helps girls getting over their ex'es. But what do you do when your own ex shows up? Especially when you just thought you were over him and want to move on? As Hugo makes a re-appearance in Max' life, she struggles to balance her whole life. And at some point, she even asks herself if she is really that over him?!

I don't want and definitely don't mean to speak / write bad about this book. But whatever I expected this book to be like, I was disappointed.

I haven't read too many collaborations in my life, and I'm unsure what to think of them. Luckily, I haven't really read books where you could say that the two voices were just two different and didn't fit together. Over You is also one of them. Emma and Nicola's writings are similar and very good. I didn't like this book not because of the writing. I don't have to say anything bad about that.

The story itself just didn't do it for me. Or the actions during the story. The romance was too short and not very romantic as well. You didn't really get the connection. There was none for me. Max and Ben were just two teenagers. I couldn't really see in the point of them getting together or the idea to do that. The story focused too much on Bridget for that. And I didn't really like that girl. It seemed as if she depened on her ex-boyfriend Taylor too much. She wasn't her own person anymore. I guess, after some time being with the same person, that happens, but it was just too much, I think.

Also, Zach (Max' best friend) was too much involved in the whole thing. While I wanted the story to be more about Max and Ben, it wasn't. And that made me sad. Even Hugo (I can't picture a guy with that name as well, though I know lots of people own that name) had more scenes than Ben, or so it seemed. And forget about Hugo, he is such a douchebag!

I didn't really like Max' character also. I can't even explain why, but that's just how it was. I think a lot of things were too simple. Like the problem she had with her mother. You don't get to meet her new husband in the book as well. So, first off, you get Max' and her problem with her mother, but then the story is so focused on Bridget, that you forget about it, and by the end - ta-dah, all of a sudden everything is solved. Only, it isn't. Not for the reader. Things need to be told, I wanted fights, I wanted anger. None of that happened. It was just: "Yeah, you're the bestiest mom ever again!" And that's it. I didn't want that! Why did it have to be like that?

Another thing I didn't like was the point of views. One moment you read Max' point of the, the next it is Taylor's, and then again it's Ben's. Other books wait 'til a new chapter, but in Over You you have to concentrate real hard to actually get who is talking now, who is set on pause. I didn't like that.

So, as much as I wanted to like Over You, and as much as I love the cover (I LOVE THAT COVER! <3), I didn't enjoy the story. For me, it was disappointing. And I am very sorry to say that. I would have wished for something more too, but that's not how it goes. I wouldn't say that it fail me completely. There were some funny scenes which I laughed about. You like some stories, and some not. I didn't like this one too much, that's for sure.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen