Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013

If I Lie - Corrine Jackson

Title: If I Lie
Author: Corrine Jackson
Rating: 4 - 4.5/5

I don't know how Corrine made it, but this book put me through so many emotions. It was crazy. I laughed, I cried, I screamed, I smiled. I thought I would have to tell my mom to send me to a doctor or something. I loved this book so much.

Quinn got caught kissing a boy. The problem is that she already has a boyfriend - Carey. He is serving for his country in Afghanistan and currently there. Now her friends call her the meanest things and the only way to stop the rumors and mean words, would be to tell them Carey's secret. Then Carey goes MIA (missing) and she still has to deal with keeping her promise: To keep his secret.

Normally, I don't enjoy reading books about people in the Army. Granted, I have only read a few of them, but it always annoys me a little how the couple is already together - then the guy flies away, there is war, he gets wounded (or not), the girl is sad, he is furious 'cause he wants to serve his country, so he breaks up with her, thinking it's for the best. So cliché, isn't it? However, I loved If I Lie a lot. Even it if fit this cliché in some ways too. The story just made my heart ache a lot. I can not say enough how much I loved it. (But I'll try to stop. I think you get the point)

I can't imagine what it must be like for a family, especially for a mother to fear for her son to get wounded, get MIA or even killed. For me, it's unbelievable anyway, because I think this whole war thing and sending people there is useless and crazy and everything else. I can't think of it as help. I always think that people make everything worse by starting another war, just to end the war in the country they are sending people to. It doesn't even make sense, does it? Innocent people are dying over there and it won't ever stop. The war won't ever stop. While thinking and writing about this now, I am really mad. Seriously, it's just gaaaahhh! But my complaining won't change anything. Not the tiniest bit. No matter how many people are trying to raise their voices against it - it will meet numb ears.

So, let's talk about something happier - THIS BOOK! haha.
I was a little afraid to start this. I had it on my eBook reader for some time now but never had the urge to read it. I was staring at the cover all the time and think: "What if this book disappoints me? Why am I even having such high expectation on this one?" I know the answer now: To match those expectations. And saying this makes me very happy. It's rare enough that I find a book that amazes me. It actually only happens in like 1 of 20 books. I wish I could say I am joking. But I am not. Not really.

Time to write something about the characters, I guess. Always a hard task for me. I'll start with Sophie Quinn, since she is the main character. In the beginning I wasn't sure what to think of her. Sweet, innocent. So wrong! Well, not completely wrong, but she is a strong girl, and when you read this book, you get the impression that you actually know her in real life. Everyone should be a little Sophie Quinn. So Corrine, share a piece of her with us! She is so brave and you feel sorry for her so many times. You can relate to her if you got disappointed by your friends some time, if they failed you, if rumors starting to get out of hand, if you have to deal with a strict parent, if you have to deal with a parent who left you, if you feel something for someone and it seems so wrong, if you struggle to keep secrets, if you are a good friend, if you are a lousy friend. Everyone can relate to her in some way. I think that is what made her so special. In a lot of books, the character has a straight line - girl, rich, beautiful, spoiled, the end. Sophie is a lot of things. She is a real person. At least the way she was written and created makes you feel that way. Awesome!

Carey is one of the guys you find cute. He is nothing out-standing, but he just is and you like him. I felt really sorry for him and that he had to keep his secret a secret. It was cliché, but it was not. Sexuality is still such a topic in the Army. I don't really see why it'd matter what gender you love. I guess I did spoil a bit now. But after the first two chapters, you know what is going on with him anyway. I am sorry if you are bothered by my "spoiler" now. I really am. I just can't help it.

Of course, there also is a sunny-boy in this. His name is Blake and he is G O R G E O U S. Everything he says makes you melt, unless he is being an ass. In some scenes, he is. Just so you know. Beware of him. You will fall in love with him so quickly. It should be forbidden. I liked him a lot. No, strike that. I loved him. But... Yes, there is a but. I think he should have stood up for Sophie. He should have been there for her. While Sophie thinks she used him in some way, it was the other way around as well. And I'm not sure what to think of the ending. I can't express my feelings 'cause that would mean I'd have to spoil again. I can't do that, can I? Writing reviews is so stupid. Okay, it's not, but I'd love to spoil now, but I refuse to! Get surprised what happens or not between the two of them in the end. Your head will have a lot to do by dealing with your emotions by then.

I will put the others together: I hated Sophie's former friends. I hated them so much. But that's how teenagers are. I am sorry that I know people like that, I am sorry that you most certainly know people like that too. I was disgusted by her mother, and though she tried to explain, I still can't forgive her for doing that to her own daughter. Gosh, I sound like the characters really exist. I should stop reading books. Yeah, not going to happen! I also kind of disliked her father. He is what you'd imagine an ex-soldier to be. Bitter. Who I loved was George and his and Sophie's conversations. They were so cute, and my heart broke when... Well, just when something happened.

I probably spoiled, so again - I'm sorry. I can only once more say how much I loved this book. I really should have picked this up sooner. But I'm so, so happy that I finally read this, and how it was able to take so much emotions from me. I didn't know I had it in me. If this is not on your wishlist, it should be. You did an amazing job, Corrine Jackson! This book is flawless!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen