Dienstag, 2. Januar 2018

Pretty Dead Girls - Monica Murphy

Title: Pretty Dead Girls
Author: Monica Murphy
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead.

In the peaceful seaside town of Cape Bonita, wicked secrets and lies are hidden just beneath the surface. But all it takes is one tragedy for them to be exposed.

The most popular girls in school are turning up dead, and Penelope Malone is terrified she's next. All the victims so far have been linked to Penelope—and to a boy from her physics class. The one she's never really noticed before, with the rumored dark past and a brooding stare that cuts right through her.

There's something he isn't telling her. But there's something she's not telling him, either.

Everyone has secrets, and theirs might get them killed.

This book! Right from the very first page I knew I'd love it. I didn't give it much thought when I pressed the request buttonon NetGalley. Knowing it's a Monica Murphy book I was curious about what she'd make of this kind of genre. And wooop! I loved this story. Sure, everybody's right saying it reminds them of Pretty Little Liars or Scream Queens (though I haven't watched that show yet), but the author explains she was inspired by the second show and so I believe that settles it.

Truth be told, I think Monica is one of the most fabulous writers out there. I adore her writing style and she makes every single story so believable. I'm not lying when I say that Pretty Dead Girls hooked me right from the first page. There's just something about the way the author creates her characters that I instantly like them. The pace was perfect and I loved the point of views from the killer. The more pages I turned the more curious I got. Around 3/4 of the book, I had a feeling about who might have murdered all these girls and yay, I was right. But... The ending came a bit fast to me. The last three chapters flew by and when I finally finished the book, I still didn't feel like I was done. So that's the only 'bad' thing I have to mention. But as a teen who might read this book, I think it's a good example of showing you should always be your best self and treat others like you want to be treated. Bullying other people is not acceptable.

Other than that I liked that there's a character for everyone. Sure enough Penelope seems like this perfect teenage girl - no flaws, just beauty, smartness and the right amount of friends as well as enemies. Then there's Courtney who's a bitch (and a psycho). Penelope's best friend Dani is one of my favourite characters in the book. I adored her so much. She was this cute little thing, a bit too naive for her own good, but that's probably the reason I liked her so much. I felt so sorry for her, considering everything that happened (or didn't happen) with Brogan. The others girls, I didn't care about so much. But Pretty Dead Girls is mainly all about Penelope, Courtney and Dani anyway... And Cass. Let's not forget about Cass.

When the reader first meets Cass, he's this super weird guy. "Maybe it was him," I thought when we met him after the first girl, Gretchen, turned up dead. At some point of the story you just suspect everyone to be the killer. After a few more chapters I actually found myself liking the idea of him and Penelope together, I even wanted to encourage it. The two made perfect sense in my eyes. And I also liked his past, the way he was connected to the dead girls. It took some time for him to confess everything, though.

Since Cass was allowed to be a weirdo, I'll admit something, too: I liked the two cops. Yes, they are super annoying, or at least one of them is. There's nothing likeable about the two, spying, asking too many questions, etc. But I thought the scenes with them were mostly funny. I'm sure they weren't meant to be, which is why that's most likely only the way I see it and no one else.

I could go on and on about why I liked Pretty Dead Girls as much as I did. It surprised me since I'm not a fan of thrillers at all. I'd rather have you reading this book though instead of me rambling about it more. I can't recommend it enough, so if you're up for a young adult thriller, Monica Murphy is the perfect choice for you.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen