Sonntag, 19. Juni 2016

Hooker - J.L. Perry

Title: Hooker
Author: J.L. Perry
Rating: 3/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Hachette Australia for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
Jade's young life was tough. After her mother died during childbirth and her father could no longer look after her, she was placed in foster care where she stayed for the next ten years. She grew up feeling unloved and unwanted as she was passed around from one screwed up home to the next.

Things began to look up for her when she was adopted by a wealthy socialite at the age of eleven. Sometimes, though, things aren't always what they seem. Jade didn't know it at the time, but her new adoptive mother had big plans for her . . .

Brock grew up privileged. He had everything going for him. Money, looks, charm, success and an endless array of beautiful women. He wasn't interested in commitment. To him women were easy. They practically threw themselves at his feet. All they wanted was to do something nobody had ever managed before. Snare the hot, rich bachelor.

Then he met Jade. She was like a breath of fresh air. A challenge. Nothing like the women he was used to. Their one night together ignited something within him. A burning desire to own her, possess her, but Jade had other plans. Nobody says no to Brock Weston, nobody.

But, when fate brings them together again, will he get what he wants? Or will Jade's secrets crush him, and destroy any chance they have of being together?

I decided to leave this review a bit shorter than the rest, simply because there isn't much for me to tell. I prefered J.L. Perry's former book, called Bastard. Both books are pretty long, so if you are looking for a quick read, her books aren't for you. Her writing is really good though, no matter if you like the plot or not, it will have you continue reading.

Jade meets Brock at the airport - I liked that setting. They are both on their way to New York and seem pretty attracted to one another right from the start. Though they know nothing about each other, they're happy when they run into each other again and share a night of wild passion. Alright, so you don't have to read 50% of the book to get to that part when they meet. I liked that. I hate when the meetings are dragged into infinity. I want the story to be focused on the love birds.

However, though their love story was enjoyable, I disliked the main history of Jade. It was too adult-ish for me. I mean, it's thrilling and really unique - she is a hooker. Name one other book in which the character is a hooker. A stripper, yes, maybe, but a hooker? And the way she turned into one? That one is heavy! I so didn't like reading about that, but then again J.L. Perry is good for these heavy histories of her characters. It was the same with Bastard. People screaming, calling others bad names or worse... You name it. That's her thing. I think, secretly, she is a thriller writer, haha.

Up until like the middle of the book, I would only read a chapter or two and then put it aside again. Yeah, I wasn't really into it. Sadly. But then finally, when Jade was in danger, I continued and continued and was finished with the book a day later. As mentioned before, it is NOT because of the writing. I think J.L. Perry is a real talent at what she does, it was just the story itself, the life of Jade, that I didn't find appealing. That's my NA heart - struggling to accept any other genre. Sorry!

So, don't mind my rating or my thoughts. That's all me. If you like to read about love and fear and characters with a troubled past, who overcome their issues finding one another - I suggest you read Hooker because it's keeping all these promises. And I actually did like the other characters in this book, such as Joshua, Brock's brother, or Theo, one of Jade's clients who is the nicest of them all. And of course Brock is swoon-worthy. No doubt about that.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen