Samstag, 21. Januar 2012

The Truth About Guys - Chad Eastham

Title: The Truth About Guys
Author: Chad Eastham
Rating: 3 - 3.5/5

Thanks to Thomas Nelson via Netgallery for accepting my request on reading this book.

It's really hard for me to rate an advice book. When I first heard about this book, I thought it was a novel. Also, it took me some time to finish it, but I'll tell you about the reasons for that later...

While I enjoyed reading the stories that lead to the chapters itself, I thought that some things were repeated way too often. "You are vulnerable" for instance. As an atheist, it isn't easy for me to read about God so often (which is one of the reasons I didn't finish this book right away). I don't want to read quotes from the Bible and all that since I have a different point of view on those things. So when Chad wrote about all these Adam and Eve stories, or said that guys acted a certain way because God created them like that, or girls should love themselves for who they were created, I stopped, clicked on exit and had to take a break from that book for the rest of the day. Believe in what you want, but it just doesn't work for me that way.

Now, I guess that was harsh for all the religious people reading this and I am sorry. The good thing is that you learn a lot about why guys act the way they do and learn to see things from a guy's point of view. Even though this book was made for girls to read, I think Chad described certain types of girl perfectly well, so it'd do good if guys read this book aswell. You might aswell learn more about girls here than you do about guys in fact.

I really liked to read Chad's own stories about him and his friends. I also liked that by the end of each chapter, he captured the things once again and made you think about them once more by creating the "discussion stuff" area. That area would be really great to actually discuss when you read this book in school. And even if it might seem like I couldn't get along with this book at all, it's not true. There were a lot of parts where I agreed with Chad. Oh, and there are also sometimes statistics that you'll be shocked about. I was, at least.

I don't know what else to say. I haven't read a lot of advice book. This is my second actually, so I don't really have a lot to compare this book with. I probably would have liked it much better without these God talks and all that, but it was nice anyway.

One more little point that I didn't like so much, or probably understood wrong: Chad always said that girls shouldn't do stuff, such as sleeping with a guys, just because their boyfriends wanted it. He made pretty clear that girls should wait for sex until marriage, but W A I T ! - How come I never once read that guys should wait aswell? How come they get a free ticket to sleep with every girl that comes along the way, and how come they even have a chance to do that, if all girls should wait until marriage? It doesn't really make sense to me. While the idea to wait until the right one comes around might be charming and romantic, it is really unrealistic in the present world. I'm just saying...

1 Kommentar:

  1. haha I totally love your comment about guy not waiting!! It's totally true! I don't agree with that either. And also I always think this book are kind of funny.. I mean, I am to become a psychologist this Spring and these book are so no scientific. I pick them up once in a while in the library to laugh at the stuff they said in it. :P
    Nice review :)

    AntwortenLöschen