Freitag, 20. Januar 2012

The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer #01) - Amanda Howells

Title: The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer #01)
Author: Amanda Howells
Rating: 4/5

Mia is feeling miserable. First, her love Jake dumps her and now she has to spend the summer with her cousins, which wouldn't be such a bad thing if they hadn't changed so much. Mia feels like she doesn't fit in anymore... Until she meets Simon. With him, the summer doesn't seem so bad anymore, but nothing lasts forever. That's something that even Mia fears after all.

I really suck at writing summaries, I know. Whatever, really. The first thing you'll notice when you start this book is the beautiful writing. It's one of the most beautiful writings I've ever read, to be honest. I'm also quite jealous over the fact that I can't write like that. Good job Amanda Howells!

Mia is a character everyone can relate to, I think. If not for her smartness, then probably for her need and wish to fit in. Nobody wants to be left out alone, right? That's why I couldn't get along with her cousins Corinne and Beth and Corinne's friend Gen. Typical case of rich sobs here. They think they have it all: The money, the friends, the look and all that kind of stuff. But late at night the doubts take over. You already see, the same old thing. And even though it is such an old thing, I always get mad with characters like this because they remind me of the people who are like them in real life. Ugh.

Also, I couldn't stand Mia's mom in the beginning. She was described perfectly well: She seemed to force her daughters to be something she never was, or she was in this case actually. How much love for yourself can a person bear? Best prove done here: A LOT. You'll think different about her mom by the end, which I am grateful for, because I wouldn't have liked to read about another mom, who tried to reach her dreams through her daughters.

And now Simon. You will absolutely love him! He is thoughtful and funny. I love characters like his. Totally easy to adore him. He makes Mia feel special and accepted for what she is, though she discovers who she is also because of him in a way. So, if you like this guy as much as I did, you'll be shocked by the end. It'll tear your heart apart more or less. I'm happy that Mia writes down the certain three words on a piece of paper by the end of this book, because I missed these three words during their time together.

Who you'll always like is Mia's aunt Kathleen. Sometimes Mia finds herself wishing her mom was like Kathleen, but at some point of the story she has to see that Kathleen "isn't exactly mother Teresa" as Corinne would say now and every mother is doing her best to support and love and care about her child.

As I said, the writing is beautiful which made me like this book so much. Some parts bore me, especially the start. Some things seemed like page-fillers (is that a word?), but I'm glad that Mia didn't repeat herself over and over again. Once she was done with a theme, she was done. It's a perfect summer read, and though I read this in winter now, I think I'll take it with me if I find myself sitting by the pool in summer or else where. As long as the sun is shining, this book will seem like a summer dream to you. I love when books create a special atmosphere and Amanda Howells succesfully did that.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen