Freitag, 25. August 2017

Her Book Boyfriend (The Awkward Duckling #01) - K.R. Grace

Title: Her Book Boyfriend (The Awkward Duckling #01)
Author: K.R. Grace
Rating: 3 - 3.5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Buoni Amici Press, LLC for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
She believes the secret to love is in the tropes of her favorite romance novels. He’s the best friend prepared to prove her wrong.

Then comes the bet.

If she can’t land a boyfriend for prom by recreating the ten popular tropes in her favorite romance author’s books, she has to go to the prom with her.

The glitch?

They’ve been close their entire lives. He’s the rock god and school legend, while she’s the brainy sidekick who does all his dirty breakups. Thus, finding a guy who doesn’t think they’re already an item is going to be a lot harder than she thinks.

Will she land the book boyfriend of her dreams? Or will she be forced to go to prom with her best friend?

The truth is in the pages.

In the beginning, I had a hard time finding myself getting into the book. It started off as something else than I expected and I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not. Then, as I continued, I enjoyed the story and the main character Macey - a nerdy high school student you'll find yourself relating to. And her male best friend Cam had some swoon-worthy scenes, too.

Please don't get fooled by the title, though. Sure enough, there's a reason why the book is called Her Book Boyfriend, but to be honest, there wasn't a lot of book nerdy references or whatever else I'd hoped for. There's a quote in the end, saying Macey finally got her book boyfriend, but I didn't feel that at all. Macey's obsessed with an author and thinks she's got the recipe to catch herself the perfect boyfriend for prom. So she makes a list, thinking if she goes through all these types of guys, eventually she'll land herself something like the fantasy book boyfriend.

By the end of the book, I didn't realise how many guys there were until she counted them all. It's funny how if she had been described as a mean girl, the reader probably would have had the impression she was a slut, but since she was always a cutie, you won't get mad over it. Toward the end, I had some problems with how she finally realized none of these guys were it for her, but well... I wouldn't have had seen another option for it either.

I liked the part when Macey decided to go for the other sex. That was beyond hilarious and just the kind of scene light and easy romance novels like this one need. That's what makes them so special - always a good laughter. And unlike many other female main characters, she got along great with children. The friendship between her and Winter - Cam's younger sister - was adorable.

Speaking of Cam, I wonder what happened to his family situation after the book ended. I am curious to find out, but on the other hand I don't want to pick up the sequel, Her Hollywood Boyfriend, because I am not a fan of band romances at all, especially the teen kind. Thinking about Cam now, I think the title of the book might be justified. Reading about his change of heart makes sense for the title to be Her Book Boyfriend, I guess.

Despite my usual hatred for most friend characters, there wasn't a single one that I disliked with this novel. The amount of dialogues are fine and the reader gets the impression that they'd all have each others backs if it was to decide. And then there is Wen, a cute girl who never talks. Granted, it's predictable thinking of when she'll eventually start talking, but I still kind of liked her. The gestures described were so much fun.

Also this mind sound superficial, but I love the cover. It's simple, yet something I'd want to be seen on my real-life shelf. And the writing was great! Every so often I want to read a book like this one but can't get along with the author's voice. If I find another novel by K.R. Grace with a description that makes me think I could enjoy the book, I'll definitely read it!

So, if you're looking for a sweet, light romance with a nerdy YA heroine and a predictable, yet super fun plot, you might think about picking up Her Book Boyfriend.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen