Samstag, 19. September 2015

Deviation - M.C. Cerny

Title: Deviation
Author: M.C. Cerny
Rating: 3/5

Thanks to NetGalley and M.C. Cerny for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
Deviation: an action, behavior, or condition that is different from what is usual or expected; an act or instance of deviating; a noticeable or marked departure from accepted norms of behavior.

Edith Willows has escaped the drugs, abuse, and poverty of her early years, but the scars remain. She is imperfect and damaged. Eager to complete her college degree and leave the past behind, Edith doesn’t anticipate the return of a forbidden crush, threatening to destroy her carefully crafted peace…

Jack Hamilton has the perfect life…a woman who fulfills his needs, a successful business, and an adjunct position at his former school. However, a past indiscretion has haunted him for years and, now, the beautiful dark-haired girl he had no business getting involved with sits just rows away from his podium, all grown-up…

When I requested this book for a digital review copy, I completely forgot that I had already written the sample in the book collection called Hot For Teacher, which I really liked. I opened my eReader and re-read the sample, because I didn't know the sample was the beginning of the actual novel. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to catch up otherwise, but the first few chapters of Deviation are exactly the same as the whole sample of it in Hot For Teacher, so let me tell you - no need to worry. Just keep on reading.

I'm a sucker for student/teacher romances and I have no clue why, but I happen to really enjoy reading about them. However, I read some novels concerning this certain topic that couldn't interest me. Reading Deviation I wasn't quite sure whether to like or to hate it. I mean, I really liked the relationship and the author had me at the first few phrases, but...

The thing is that though Edith and Jack's relationship grew stronger along the pages, I was sick of Edith at the middle of the book, so pretty fast actually. The incident you'll read about (if you decide to read the book) felt like a hole-filler to me. Is that the right word in English?! No idea. Anyway, I could deal with the incident, it wasn't that bad, but then it seemed like she would never recover from that and to me that wasn't real. Nothing really happened anyway, so why was she so upset and hurt? I just didn't understand. Just to clarify, her character was well-written and I could feel what she was feeling to that time, but I just didn't understand her in the least.

When you come to that incident part, you'll already know how the story ends. You'll want to continue reading though, because the story isn't bad-written or totally made up and unrelateable. I'm always scared my reviews will seem like that's my point of view whenever I say a negative thing or two, yet that's not the case at all.

Edith's friends were okay, I guess. I can never seem to like the friends of the main characters. Jack was the character I liked best in this book. Big surprise there, haha. So not! He is just lovely and the way he treats Edith is just so sweet. You can't not like him. Is he book boyfriend material? He sure is. At the beginning he was so conflicted about his attraction to Edith and then love conquered and it was so good to read his point of view. I would have gone mad if Deviation was written from Edith's point of view only.

To put it in a nutshell (this is the first time I ever use that term), I liked the book. I liked the relationship, the way this book was written and the way it made me feel. There was love, angst and just all the emotions you can possibly think of. I'm glad the author managed to capture it all so well.

If you are a fan of student/teacher romances like me, you'll have to read this book. There is no way you can ignore this book. It will eventually cross your path and you'll pick it up.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen