Dienstag, 11. Juni 2019

Kickin' It (Red Card #02) - Rachel van Dyken

Title: Kickin' It (Red Card #02)
Author: Rachel van Dyken
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to Skyscape and NetGalley for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
Successful, high-profile sports agent Matt Kingston thinks he can handle anything. Then soccer player Parker Speedman shows up at his door. She is young and gorgeous, has natural talent, and is looking for a team. She’s also a hothead with a punchy past who floored her last coach on live TV. Despite his misgivings, Matt agrees to be both her agent and her coach. Professional common sense says she’s off-limits. But what can he say about the raw attraction between them?

Parker plays soccer with her heart and soul. But after the events of the last year, she’s shaken. She’s already seen what a powerful man can do to a female athlete’s career. And her beloved dream is in the hands of a sexy, gorgeous man with the uncanny ability to slip past her defenses…and into her heart.

Now Matt and Parker are about to learn that when it comes to love, the only way to win is by breaking every rule they know. And by playing nice. Real nice.

Whenever I finish a book by Rachel van Dyken, I'm convinced that one is my new favourite by her. Needlessly to say all of her books are practically flawless, which also makes it hard to choose a favourite. Luckily, I don't have to. I can just be happy about another masterpiece written by her. So much love for that woman!

As mentioned in my Risky Play review, as a German girl I'm a big fan of soccer. Yay for including that sport in the Red Card series. Women and soccer on the other hand... I know we're living in the 21st century, it shouldn't even be discussed, but watching women's soccer... It's not for me. And that means a lot coming from a woman myself. Anyway... I think it's still important to send a message out there - you can do any sport you want, girl or boy, and that's why I still rooted for Parker, the main character.

She's such a strong character, her story being so special. I'm glad Rachel decided to pick up this important topic, what Parker had to go through. Things like this have to be addressed. Unfortunately, lots of things still aren't addressed in today's sports society. Hopefully one day. It needs one person to speak up, to make people think, speakup as well and start a discussion, getting closure, too. This book is also about gaining confidence. And what's super important, I think, is that this confidence comes from deep inside of Parker and not because of anybody else. She doesn't depend on anyone. Sure, there's support, but that's different.

Yes, Kickin' It - which can be read as a standalone - is very serious at times. But those who enjoy Rachel's books because of her humor don't have to fear of missing out. The balance between serious and funny and also romantic is just right. Having read as many Rachel van Dyken books as I have, you will find (many) similarities to other books created by her. It seems there's always a grandmother involved, no matter what. And though I would probably critize this, I come to think of it as Rachel's thing now. Just certain involved details seen as a trademark - typically van Dyken. And those details contribute making me feel like coming home while reading her stories. There's that special vibe to it.

And that special romance, too. Favourite couple by the author? I could never decide either. Although Parker and Matt's chemistry will probably take up a big spot in my heart. The two of them felt right, starting at the very beginning. And Matt might also be one of my favourite male characters. He's so tough, but so very charming and that support... I melted away.

Not sure if Rachel had this in mind while writing, but girls can learn so much from this story (as mentioned above) - also that you should never settle for someone who doesn't support you, someone who easily lets you down without looking back. Parker knew she was worth so much more (though her past had her insecure) and that message should be sent out to every single woman out there!

There's so much strength floating in Kickin' It, so much greatness, so many funny moments, just the expected flirty scenes in Rachel van Dyken style, the friendship goals scenes and everything fans by the author love.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen