Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018

Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc. #01) - Rachel van Dyken

Title: Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc. #01)
Author: Rachel van Dyken
Rating: 3.5 - 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Skyscape for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
Blaire has never quite gotten over Jessie Beckett, the ex–NFL star whose kisses were hot enough to ignite the entire Eastern Seaboard. When he chose work over her, Blaire was left brokenhearted. Why else would she have married a skeezy two-timer, just to divorce him less than a year later?

Now Blaire is getting even by becoming one half of Dirty Exes, a PI firm fully committed to humiliating cheating jerks. If only the new jerk she’s been hired to uncover wasn’t Jessie Beckett himself.

Exposing Jessie isn’t going to be easy, especially when she still daydreams about his sexy smile. Further complicating matters is Colin, Jessie’s best friend. He’s gorgeous, a little bit cunning, and willing to help Blaire get the inside scoop on Jessie—for a price.

Now caught between two men—one totally right and the other totally wrong—Blaire will need to decide just how much she’s willing to risk…and whom she’s willing to risk it for.

According to Goodreads, Rachel van Dyken is my fourth most read author. Considering her writing speed, it's only a matter of time until she's in the top spot. And she deserves that, because I adore her so, so much. Her books always put me in a good mood and I'm always looking forward to her latest releases, though they only ever land on my to-read list, because there isn't enough time for me to even try catching up. But I will. I promise, I will. Soon.

Having recently read Cheater by the author, I couldn't help but point of the similarities to Dirty Exes. A lot of it reminded me of that series. And then I was shocked... Because reading about the couples, the love story is almost exactly like in Fraternize, another book that's been published last year by Rachel. Oh, why do you like to tortue me that much?! I didn't like who the main character in Fraternize ended up and I felt like being taken back in time while reading Dirty Exes. I was just as disappointed, I was just as sad. I didn't understand the motives at all. The love story is so similar, I wanted it to be different.

But you know what?! Despite that, I can't be mad at Rachel van Dyken. Because in the end, I think I got it. Alright, that's a flat lie, but I've got to believe there's a reason she did what she did, paired up the couple she paired up. And if a book makes you feel kind of angry, it's still an emotion, and any book causing you emotions is one you most likely won't forget. And then that's a good thing. I just have to have faith in that.

Anyway... The storyline itself is genius! And as always, there's just the right amount of humor in it that can't be mistaken. The author is famous for that and us fans, we love it. The guys are always so alpha-like, but still so super cute in what nerdy comments they're able to shoot. Gah! You always fall in love with them. Always! And then the women might appear shy sometimes, but they're really those confident human beings, admirable, strong and they use their mouths like weapons when they have to.

The idea of spying on your ex-boyfriend because his current girlfriend (or wife) thinks he's cheating is a bit much of a drama, right?! Ha! But you haven't even met Jessie's wife yet. And then Colin, Jessie's best friend, gets in the way, flirting with Blaire like hell. But she's got to focus on her job, right? And now having Jessie back in her life, she starts feelings things again, so yes, you see, it gets really messy, but it's never too much for the reader to handle. Because the reader will have to choose between the two men as well. And let me tell you, it's not an easy choice.

I liked the idea of Blaire and her friend having that company - spying on women's boyfriends in order to help them. It's even more emotional, because you get to find out that Blaire's been cheated on as well. And while I know I would most likely never enjoy this topic in a movie, I couldn't help but love what Rachel van Dyken made of the situation. God, I adore that woman. I really do.

So, yes, of course I'll read the second book in the Liars, Inc. series when it comes out, though it can never be as good as Dirty Exes and I won't agree with the couple. But I think that's the thing here - I can't wait for the author to prove me wrong. To make me fall in love with the next story, make me fall for the next couple, though I would have never seen it coming. Bring it on, Mrs. van Dyken!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen