Montag, 2. April 2018

The Rules of Rebellion - Amity Hope

Title: The Rules of Rebellion
Author: Amity Hope
Rating: 3.5 - 4 / 5

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
1. Skinny dip (her idea)
2. Stargaze (his idea)
3. Prank someone (her idea)
4. Go on a date (his idea)

Leo Zimmerman has had a crush on his curvy friend Kylie Jenkins since forever, so when he discovers the girl with a flair for candy making has a newfound plan to rebel against her overbearing parents, he’s determined to be the one to help her carry it out. Who better than himself to show her the ropes of letting loose?

Sure, taking her to her first high school party, helping her sneak out of the house, or watching a sunset together isn’t exactly a hardship, but much harder is masking his feelings the more time they spend together. And when he suggests adding “a first date” to Kylie’s plan and she accepts…suddenly all his dreams seem to be coming true.

But Leo’s got a secret that could change everything between them, and it’s only a matter of time before it comes to the surface.

When I first saw this up on NetGalley, I immediately jumped up. Because YES, another book by Amity Hope published via Entangled. I love the publisher's books and I really loved The Rules of Persuasion by Amity Hope, that was released in summer 2017. So I was super excited to read another novel by the author. And I wasn't disappointed one bit.

I fell in love with the main characters the second they were introduced. Leo and Kylie were some super sweet people and I enjoyed reading about their journey. Not sure if I liked them as a couple a bit more than the one we read about in The Rules of Persuasion, but they stole my heart just the same, nevertheless. Of course, the idea of a girl making a list with things she still wants to do in her life (or by the end of senior year) is nothing extraordinary. Many YA books revolve around that and it's also always that one boy helping her, that she falls for in the end. But let me tell you that I still didn't get bored of the storyline and that's because Amity Hope is such a wonderful writer. I admire her style, because even though this is just my second book, I would, without a doubt, pick up any book by her. And if it's a young adult novel, even more so. Favorite genre plus one of my favorite writings styles, oh yes, count me in.

Probably, I'm way into deep here and can't really focus on writing a helpful review. Sorry about that. It may help if I tell you that though the idea of the story itself might not excite you, but the characters will. They aren't shallow, there's some real depth behind their actions, behind what they say. I liked that a lot. There's always a certain lightness to young adult novels, and making it so that the story doesn't get too cheesy is the true art of writing to me.

Kylie's and Leo's personalities just matched each other's. Them as friends made sense. Them as a couple made sense. Sometimes, I struggle with these friends-to-lovers stories, but Kylie and Leo never once made me uncomfortable about the idea of them together. I wanted it to happen. I cheered them on. And then... Talk about a plot twist!

Oh my. That plot twist idea was brilliant. Because almost always, the conflict has something to do with the two main characters themselves. And well, this one has got to do with them, as well, but I think Amity Hope created such a creative conflict here and it made me really happy to see there can be something else than cheating or a secret baby or something like that. And when you get to that plot twist, you will understand both point of views - both decisions. My poor heart.

So you see, I'm a fan of this series. It can be read as a standalone, but you'll want to catch up on the first book, too, believe me. I can't recommend the first one and The Rules of Rebellion enough!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen