Mittwoch, 9. November 2016

Once Confronted - Lynne Stringer

Title: Once Confronted
Author: Lynne Stringer
Rating: 2.5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Rhiza Press for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
After a normal day turns disastrous, Madison Craig tries to put her life back together. She’s jumping at shadows and finds even familiar places terrifying. Can she forgive the men who hurt her? Her friend Evan Mansfield sees no need to do anything but hate their assailants. He struggles with bitterness, but Maddy wants to move on. What will she do when one of the men asks for forgiveness?

The first chapter promised something big. I hoped the book would be something deep and poetic, a story to keep in mind forever. And the writing was good at first, but soon enough the main character - Maddy - annoyed me. I probably shouldn't say that, considering the things she has been through when that one thing happened, but I can't help it. Her life was rushed after that, the author described it really fast. I can see why, there isn't a lot to tell in between, but still...

And what the author did to Evan, her co-worker and the guy who's been through the same as Maddy and was there when she was... I was shocked. I couldn't believe how he turned out. He wouldn't deal what had happened to both of them. I wanted him to stay the cute guy that Maddy crushed on. I wanted them to be the perfect couple. Of course, that would have been boring and too predictable. Maybe it wouldn't have fitted the story either, I don't know. To be honest, his change wasn't even that unrealistic. I can see the author really thought about the story and researched and all that stuff. It was well thought-through, but just not my favourite plot ever.

Luckily, there was Jeremy who saved the story for me. A bit. In the beginning of the story, you won't think you'll ever grow to like him, believe me. But then Maddy decides to take a big step ahead, to find some kind of closure for herself after everything that happened and that still haunts her. She wants to draw a line and that's when Jeremy steps into the picture. So, while Evan changed for worse, Jeremy changed for the better. I liked that change far better than the first I spoke about. I would have loved to read more of him, though we get to read plenty (more than of Evan, that's for sure).

It was really dramatic, which makes sense since the book deals with a dramatic topic. If you want to read about unicorns and rainbows, I suggest you don't pick Once Confroted up. It won't be for you. I am not even sure if it was for me. That's why my rating is a low one. I feel pretty bad about that, but as always, I can guarantee it wasn't a bad book. I just wasn't my kind of book and I would have dealt with some things different than the main character or the author herself did.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen