Montag, 17. Oktober 2016

Hard To Fall (Take The Fall #04) - Marquita Valentine

Title: Hard To Fall (Take The Fall #04)
Author: Marquita Valentine
Rating: 4/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release.
As a hardworking, hard-partying firefighter, Hayden Walker values his career and his freedom. But as the eldest son of a U.S. senator, he agreed long ago to follow in his father's footsteps and run for office, and that means settling down and marrying the picture-perfect wife. Hayden just isn't ready for that sort of commitment . . . not with women like beautiful, curvy Saylor Dean—the naughty bridesmaid he recognizes the morning after his buddy's wedding—tempting Hayden to stay single forever.

The unwanted love child of a well-known politician, Saylor has always felt isolated and alone, her only solace the animal shelter she runs in Forrestville. Then she meets Hayden at her best friend's wedding. During their impulsive and unforgettable night together, Saylor feels desired like never before—only to wake up and find that Hayden doesn't remember his drunken proposal, or their hasty marriage, or her. But when the truth comes out, Saylor finds it's a lot harder to fall out of love than in love.
Considering how the main character's family is part of the politics, I feared I wouldn't like this book when I started reading it. And yes, I didn't understand the political terms, not quite sure whether that might have been different had I read the book in German, but I'm glad it wasn't all about that. Honored to have received two other books in this series before their official release as well, I think Hard To Fall is my favourite of them.

I didn't like Hayden. In the other books, I mean. Whenever he was mentioned, I nearly gagged and hoped he wouldn't get his own book. But I am really happy he did. He was unlike what I assumed he would be, which kind of confused me. In the first chapter, he was a real arrogant snob and then he suddenly changed. Dunno what was up with that, but I ignored that, because I just loved his and Saylor's story too much to complain or even give it a second thought. So, dear authors, please write more about firefighters. But please don't insert any huge fire that almost has them killed, that is so predictable. I'm glad Marquita didn't do that. She wrote down the issues of being a firefighter and how it scares the people close to them. That, I can handle. Hours spent in a hospital while the fiancé is crying her eyes out? Not so much.

While reading Eva's book in this series, I got the impression the animal shelter was mentioned a bit more often than now. I only realized that now, writing the review. That's a bit weird, considering how the shelter really belongs to Saylor and it hardly ever felt like that now. But I don't mind. Probably because I have read two prequels and know the story.

Now speaking about Saylor... She is such a cutie. I was pleased to read about nerd things. More romances or any books for that matter, should contain nerdy things like Superman or comic conventions and such. I liked that. She was described as a character I can see myself being friends with and that feeling is one of the best while reading. Seriously. There is nothing better than feeling a connection toward the characters. I think the authors aren't truly aiming for that, but when it happens, when they read a review that says these things, they are smiling about it. Marquita can definitely smile now, haha.

Back to the story, I first thought that some pages were cut off, because suddenly Saylor spoke about Hayden as if they've had something going on, but you never got to read about that. It's explained later on, but it kept me wondering whether my version of the book had an error, haha. It didn't. Still, I would have liked to read about that certain part. However, I guess it makes sense for the author to leave that part out and focus on what happens after that event.

So, if you have read the sequels in this series and happened to like them, I suggest you continue and read Hard To Fall, too. And if you haven't read a Marquita Valentine book yet, Hayden and Saylor might be the ideal couple to start.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen