Freitag, 20. Mai 2016

Princess of Tyrone (The Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles #1) - Katie Hamstead

Title: Princess of Tyrone (The Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles #1)
Author: Katie Hamstead
Rating: 3.5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Curiosity Quills Press for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
Apolline is happy hunting magical creatures on her pirate infested outer-perimeter planet. She is a fantastic shot, and doesn’t flinch at the blood and guts of her kills. Never once did she consider she could be the missing Princess of Tyrone.

All her life, she has heard the story of the Princess, cursed to sleep for eternity, unless her betrothed, the Prince of Oran, gave her true love’s kiss. Although Apolline knows she is betrothed, she thinks her fairy guardians arranged it out of ignorance of human ways. The thought she could be a princess is inconceivable.

Then Allard appears. Handsome, charming—but he’s not hers to have. He’s betrothed, too. Her guardians warn her against her new found friendship, but she and Allard meet in secret anyway. Despite her rough exterior, he sees beyond her gun-slinging bravado, and their love blossoms.

But the deadline for the sleeping curse is approaching. If Apolline falls in love with the wrong person, she could end up sleeping forever.

Again, I am sorry for taking my time reading the book and writing the review. My allergies are pretty bad since April and so I don't really find enough time to read in between sneezing attacks.

Anyway, I don't say this a lot, but I can imagine this book being absolutely amazing as a TV show. Usually, producers mess a lot with books and in the end, the movie or the show is completely different than the book. Alright, I guess that could happen with Princess of Tyrone too, but the story, the characters, in my head it was a TV show already. So, please, dear producers or co-workers in the film industry, tell your people about this book, read it yourself and find some actors! This book needs to be heard and if that means airing it on TV, well then there's that.

Being in my twenties now, I find myself less thrilled about fantasy or paranormal books. Somehow, I am not a fan of those anymore. The story has to hook me right from the start in order for me to read it until the end. Luckily, that was the case with Princess of Tyrone. When I was little I knew fairytales, of course, but I wasn't really interested in them. That hasn't changed, but something about the way Katie Hamstead mixed a fairytale story and a galaxy, a future-like story, made me go on and on reading this. I enjoyed that very much.

The time of the story is an interesting thing actually. Because it has a lot of aspects from former centuries, but mainly, I pictured this story happening in the future, considering the planets, the galaxy and the way the people travel. I absolutely loved that. Kinda felt like a YA alien book to me, awesome!

Even if you don't like fairytales that much, you will most likely find aspects that you like about this book. Truth be told, magic is involved in this, yes, but what's exciting is Apolline's journey, finding out the truth about her family, about herself. And that name, come on. All the names in this book are brilliant. I like refreshing names, so well done Katie Hamstead! They didn't seem too extraordinary, but they were just perfect for the characters.

Then there is Allard, whom you will fall in love with, depending on whether you have a weakness for boys in books. I loved getting a sight inside his head, reading about his thoughts. Also, I think his and Beau's friendship fitted the story just right. Considering how Apolline only had her "aunts" to talk to, it seemed fair Allard had a best friend. And what a best friend! At some point of the story I feared he might die. You know how sometimes a background character whom you grew to love dies?! I absolutely hate when that happens. Katie didn't put me through that heartache, phew! *wipes sweat away*

If you wondered about the point of views, there aren't just Apolline's and Allard's as it usually is in other books - two point of views. The evil character in Princess of Tyrone gets her own point of view too. Which was amazing, to be honest. I didn't think I could enjoy it that much, but it fitted the story so well and added a lot of important things: Anger, pity, hate. The plot becomes more thrilling with this.

So, based on how untypical it is for me to like fairytales and everything along with that, I honestly enjoyed this book a lot. Much more than I originally thought. I'm glad to see this is only the first book in the series, because I'd like to know more about Allard's friends. Any chance on reading their story?!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen