Sonntag, 7. Februar 2016

Zeke (Breaking the Declan Brothers #03) - Kelly Gendron

Title: Zeke (Breaking the Declan Brothers #03)
Author: Kelly Gendron
Rating: 3.5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Kelly Gendron (Book Enthusiast Promotions) for letting me receive a digital copy of this book.
Every girl in Galveston County knows about Zeke Declan’s rules and has agreed to them or is considering them.

Rule #1 Don’t call him. He’ll call you.
Rule #2 He doesn’t date.
Rule #3 No sleepovers.
Rule #4 Absolutely, no virgins.

When a couple friends talk me into going back to their hometown in the Bayou for the summer and challenge me to break “the best damn lay in Galveston County” along with every single one of his ridiculous rules, I’m confident that I can get the job done. I’m no stranger to men. I have five older brothers. I’m a teacher and I’m used to being around rebellious teenagers. However, Zeke Declan is definitely not someone that I could have prepared for. He’s not a testosterone-fueled, immature boy. He’s a confident, arousing, playful, and mind-melting man. But, behind that sexy charming smile, I know he’s hiding a secret. And, in order to break him, I’m going to need to find out what it is...

So, after saying I would definitely read Zeke, I was so glad to find it up for request on NetGalley. And I wasn't disappointed. Not in the least. If anything, I loved it more than Slate, the second book in the series. Zeke is my new favourite fighter, oh yes.

I wasn't sure whether I was going to like Lurlene, but turns out I liked her alright. She's an English teacher and I'm seriously so sad we don't read anything about that. I mean, we get a glimpse of her job because someone asks her about it, but it's not the same. I would have liked to read an actual class scene or something.

However, I loved the chemistry between Zeke and Lurlene. It was truly awesome. I expected it to be a bit forced, but it wasn't anything like that. Both characters kept their voices, they didn't do anything that wouldn't have fitted for them. And I liked that, because far too many times, author change their characters and bend them into something they're not. And that always feels wrong.

Zeke had a really hard past and I cried for him. The stories inside his head, what he went through, it was all so disturbing. And without realizing it, Lurlene helps him overcome his fears. Only thing that I'd critize here is that it happened a bit late - him telling her everything. I wish they would have come clean with one another a bit sooner, but then again I guess it would have shorten the story itself. And to be honest, it is soooo damn short. Oh, I usually like quick reads, because they're not dragged, but with Zeke. Aww, come on - I wanted more!

You see, I can't tell much about the story without giving anything away, or maybe it's just my weakness - writing reviews without actually telling anything but how much I loved or hated a book. I'm sorry if this review isn't helpful for you or captures your opinion about the book, but it's safe to say that I liked it really, really much. And I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who asked me if I knew a book about fighters or hot romances or uptight women who lose their fences with a hot guy around. This one has it all.

And still, I think I won't read Jax, the first one in the series. The three stories happen around the same time, that's what I figured now, but I think Jax is just too much of a nice guy for me. But as I write this review, I suppose I'll probably change my mind some time and give Jax a try, because this series is just so good!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen