Samstag, 24. Oktober 2015

Slate (Breaking the Declan Brothers #02) - Kelly Gendron

Title: Slate (Breaking the Declan Brothers #02)
Author: Kelly Gendron
Rating: 3/5

Thanks to NetGalley and Book Enthusiast Promotions for letting me receive a digital copy of this book before its official release date.
First loves, we all got them. Mine is Slate Declan. He was kind, gentle, and caring. Still, he managed to break my heart. So I put miles between us, and eventually, my heart healed.

I haven't seen Slate in years, but a couple friends and I are going back to the Bayou for the summer. While I'm visiting my hometown, I'm going to look up Slate Declan. And I plan to break his heart, just as he did mine. I'll remind him of what he has lost, and then I'll prove to him that I've moved on.

It should be real easy, right?

Well, let me tell you, Slate Declan is not the same guy that I left behind. And there's another problem. How do you break someone's heart when they no longer have one?

I requested Slate, not knowing it was the second novel of a series. To be honest, I don't think I'll read the first one, because I didn't really felt a connection with its characters that I met through the second novel now, however, I will definitely, so definitely read the third book. I can't even wait for it.

This is one of the few novels I read about fighting, other than Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I can't say I'm a fan of it, simply because I'm not a fan of boxing sport or fighting clubs and such, but it was okay. I could deal with it.

In my other reviews, I mostly repeat the synopsis and explain a bit more. I won't do that with this book. Let's just say Slate has had a really traumatic past, which followed him right to the present. He and Rayna always shared a special bound and eventually got together as teens. Some time later, they break up and never see each other again. Rayna moves and thinks the worst of Slate and Slate just finds himself in bad situations, dealing with bad things.

You get to read about how their relationship grew from when they were kids up until when they ended up together. I seriously loved these parts, they were really great, and absolutely great-written. I would have liked to read more of these parts. They are always inbetween the regular chapters, they're flashbacks, so to speak. The regular chapters are about Rayna and Slate meeting again after all these years. She wants to help him get back on track with his life, which seems out of control. He's in a really bad condition and Rayna wants to be his saviour, because he has also always been her Superman (Awwww!). They end up locked inside his home with a limit: Slate has to stay there with Rayna three days and after that, she'll disappear from his life again.

I guess, either I gave too much away, or I just repeated the synopsis and added a bit more, as I said I wouldn't do but did, gah. I seriously don't know where to stop now. I think I'll just leave you with the locked-inside-his-home-situation and make you read the book yourself. The book is short, so you won't need long to finish it or even get the chance to get bored. That won't happen. But maybe this shortness is also a negative aspect, because I would have liked to read more about the incident that happened to Slate (you'll know what I mean when you get to that point). The three days between them seemed over so fast, like nothing even really happened. Of course, it did, but maybe there should have been more. Or maybe I should have read Slate a bit slower, haha.

Whoever is fan of friends-to-lovers romances and second-chance romances, will most likely love this book. I am not a fan of second-chance romances and I still liked it, so that has to say something. If I happen to purchase the third novels of this series, I will decide whether to write a review for that as well, so I can compare the two books. Let's see which one I like better. Have fun reading Slate, everybody. It's worth it!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen