Freitag, 23. Dezember 2011

Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally

Title: Catching Jordan
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Rating: 3.5 - 4/5

Jordan Woods is not the typical girl. She doesn't like to go shopping or do any girly stuff. She rather plays football, as the only girl in her team. Even better than being able to play it, she is the leader and quaterback. Now all she else needs is a scholarship for her dream college. But how can she be able to focus on that, when there is a new guy who she immediately falls for? And worse, what if that guy actually steals her position since he is a quaterback aswell?

First, I don't really like to read about sports (probably because of my P.E. phobia - no joke!). I like football, though it's not a very popular sport over here, but I don't get it. I don't know the rules and the game itself seems to go on forever. Also, I hate that it's practiced in high schools, because students who do not practice it are being judged as nerds or whatever and the football jerks think they are the greatest and the leaders of the whole school. Same with cheerleaders. I know that seems like I am much of a stereotype, but I just know how people think. I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone who sees theirselves as something better than me.

In the beginning I liked Ty and I liked Jordan. I liked them as a couple. Thing is, they weren't even a couple. Excuse me, they should have talked and concidered a relationship, a serious one too, before doing the whole crap. Such as having sex, without even being on a date once. I'm not saying you should stay single your whole life or wait until marriage or something like that, but two make-up sessions and go to the next level just like that? Well, that's what I call a bitch. I don't mind if girls do that, but I will call them bitch anyway. Perhaps I'm a little harsh here, but I don't really care. You can't walk around calling other people sluts, like Jordan did, and then you go and do exact the same thing. She always said how she wanted something real and love and all that, and then they just fall over each other and rip off their clothes. I don't know what it is, but it makes me really mad. It's just a book, I know, but I also know people who are exactly like that and I always wonder how they can look into the mirror. What did their parents taught them? That it is okay to have sex with just anyone as long as you use protection? And some don't even do that. Guess I just waited for the moment to read about a teenage pregnancy in this book aswell. Gosh, seriously, I am so mad :P It's pointless actually.

I'm not saying that the guys are any better in this book. They lay the girls as they come. Ew. Enough said about THAT kind of behaviour.

What did I like about this book? The friendships! I can say as much as I want about the characters being sluts, more or less, but the friendship between Jordan, Carter, JJ and Henry was flawless! I guess I liked it that much because most of my friends are boys too. Much easier to get along with them, I think. It became more of a girly thing when Carrie and Marie came in the picture, but that wasn't all too bad either. Friends should always care and support each other and that's what the characters do here, so point for that!

I also liked how hard Jordan tried to catch her dad's attention. She doesn't understand why her dad is being so supportive over her brother but not over her. He never watches her games and never ever tells her some nice words about her football succsesses. It is so sad how she tries and tries and tries. All she wants is his approval.

I would have put this book in my favourite list, but the reasons that I counted above made me not do that. I was so excited to read this book and now I'm a little disappointed. Not in the story itself, but in the way the characters were like. I guess it was Miranda's intention to write it like that and she was thinking something by doing it, but I didn't feel it. I just felt anger by reading some parts. Others were great. I'm not saying this book is bad. It is so not! I liked it. I know I mentioned and underlined the bad parts, or the parts that I didn't like, too much, but I can say it one more time: The book is NOT bad. All in all I liked it.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen